The Faith in Humanity Meter

The Faith in Humanity Meter currently reads:

Sad. See "Ignorance Inc."



Thursday, April 8, 2010

Time's Influential People -- Yikes.

The population of the Internet is a vast, dizzying mystery to me.

Time's Most Influential People online poll results are up. They're -- not encouraging.

Lady Gaga is #1. Yeah. The most influential person in the world is a pop singer. "But she's revolutionized fashion." No she hasn't. Nobody wears her stuff -- it's all stunt stuff. "But she's stood up for women's sexuality." No more so than any other female pop star.

Eh, maybe I'm just an old coot in a young person's body.

Other trends:

-Barack Obama -- the damn President of the United States of America -- is 26th. He is, according to these voters, less influential than:
-Snooki from Jersey Shore
-Neal Patrick Harris
-Jeff Bridges
-Lady Gaga
-Beyonce
-Kim yu-Na
-Sandra Bullock
-Han Han
-David Chang (A chef)
-Dan Coudreaut (McDonald's chef)
-Conan O'Brien
-I know it's just the Internet, but still -- a Jersey Shore character is more influential than the President? Faith in Humanity Meter just dipped.

-Muammar freakin' Gaddafi is number 7. Maybe I grossly underestimate the general knowledge of the American people, but I didn't know this many people knew who Gaddafi is let alone think he's important. By the way, I am convinced that it is physically impossible to take a picture of that guy where he doesn't look like evil incarnate.

-The Penny Arcade guys are #43. Hah.

-Nicholas Sarkozy is #4? Are the French spamming the vote?

-James Cameron is #6. We get it. Avatar had some spectacular visual effects. It was overall very impressive. But Cameron 'ain't that influential.

-Sandra Bullock is #8. Didn't she win a Razzie this year?

-What's sad is I can't argue with Sarah Palin being #9.

-Nicole "Snooki" Pollizi is #16. I literally cannot find words to describe this.


Again, this is an open Internet poll, so the results mean little. It's more a glimpse into the collective Internet consciousness, not humanity in general.

Oh wait -- the Internet demographic skews heavily towards my generation.

Excuse me. I need to go bang my head on the wall for an hour or so.

-

StumbleUpon.com

No comments: